- About Us
- Thematic Projects
- Climate Change and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Farmer Innovation Fairs
- Farmer-Led Documentation
- Farmer-Led Research
- Food & Nutrition Security Proli-FaNS
- HIV/AIDS and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Gender & Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Integrating PID into education
- Participatory Innovation Development in Managing Agrobiodiversity
- Piloting Local Innovation Support Funds
- Youth and Participatory Innovation Development
- News & Events
- Country Platforms Archive
- Further Readings
- Innovation Africa Symposium
- Innovation Asia-Pacific Symposium
- Institutionalization of Participatory Approach in NRM
- Institutionalizing PID
- IPR Resources
- IPW Resources
- Prolinnova Publications
- PTD/PID Circular
- Training Materials
About the Mali Country Platform
In Mali (Ségou Region), the entry theme of the PROFEIS (Promoting Farmer Experimentation and Innovation in the Sahel) programme was conservation of biodiversity, which has two sub-themes: (1) Biodiversity of sorghum and millet, which focus on farmer innovation related to developing adapted varieties, combating genetic erosion, variety conservation, endogenous diffusion of knowledge and exchange between farmers; (2) Domestication of natural forest species through innovation as regards germination of species, creating assets in the field through shortening of the growing cycle, maintenance of an appreciable rate of success and sustainable management.
Soil fertility is a cross-cutting theme, because it an essential condition for the success of innovation in conservation of biodiversity. Indeed, high yields of food crops and normal development of natural forest tree species in the field are strongly dependent on soil fertility. This is why the programme encourages farmer experimentation that associates practical conservation of biodiversity with innovations aimed at improving soil fertility.
Now the programme has opened up to other themes judged relevant in Mali, looking at both technical and socio-organisational innovation.
PROFEIS-Mali is funded by Misereor.
For documentation from PROFEIS-Mali, see http://profeismali.com