- About Us
- Thematic Projects
- Climate Change and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Farmer Innovation Fairs
- Farmer-Led Documentation
- Farmer-Led Research
- Food & Nutrition Security Proli-FaNS
- HIV/AIDS and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Gender & Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Integrating PID into education
- Participatory Innovation Development in Managing Agrobiodiversity
- Piloting Local Innovation Support Funds
- Youth and Participatory Innovation Development
- News & Events
- Country Platforms Archive
- Further Readings
- Innovation Africa Symposium
- Innovation Asia-Pacific Symposium
- Institutionalization of Participatory Approach in NRM
- Institutionalizing PID
- IPR Resources
- IPW Resources
- Prolinnova Publications
- PTD/PID Circular
- Training Materials
About the Kenya Country Platform
Prolinnova–Kenya (PK) is a network of non-governmental organisations (NGOs), government research and extension organisations, farmer organisations, universities and community-based organisations (CBOs). It came together to provide a multi-stakeholder platform (MSP) to learn about promoting farmer-led innovation processes. This was initiated in 2007. This is an initiative with the goal to recognise the dynamics of indigenous knowledge and to enhance the capacities of farmers to adjust to change by developing their own innovations and appropriate systems of natural resource management (NRM) so as to achieve food security sustain their livelihoods and safeguard the environment.
We are engaged in identifying and inventorising local innovation and innovators and support organisations in Kenya and in building the capacity of stakeholders to use participatory approaches in agricultural research and development. We encourage partnership with stakeholders (farmers, researchers and development agents, and private-sector actors) to engage in joint innovation processes. The MSP is an innovative way of bringing together stakeholders in agriculture and NRM to collaborate and learn from each other, as well as from experiences in other countries in the region and in the wider international Prolinnova community.
The current activities of Prolinnova–Kenya
- Develop an inventory and database of existing local innovations, innovators and partner organisations in Kenya;
- Build the capacity of stakeholders (farmers, researchers, extensionists and policymakers) in using participatory approaches in agricultural research and development;
- Develop a strategy on advocacy and lobbying in order to create awareness among stakeholders on local innovation processes;
- Create and strengthen partnerships between stakeholders to engage in joint innovation processes;
- Set up multi-stakeholder platforms for reflection, analysis and learning about in-country experience in promoting local innovation, and the strengths and weaknesses in developing and promoting local initiatives in Kenya;
- Develop a framework through which monitoring and evaluation of local innovation processes and joint validation of local innovations can be done.
VISION STATEMENT: We envision a Kenyan society in which farmer-led innovation and research in agriculture and NRM are drivers of sustainable livelihoods.
MISSION STATEMENT: Our mission is to improve the livelihoods of local communities in Kenya through networking and capacity strengthening that promote agriculture and NRM innovation validation, wider application and farmer-led adaptation to new settings and conditions.
2. Prolinnova-Kenya (PK) strengthening
4. Information Education and Communication (IEC)
6. Joint learning
PLANNED ACTIVITIES FOR THE YEARS 2012-2016
- Resource mobilisation: adequate resources generated to enable implementation of PK activities
- Joint learning: platforms and frameworks for information and knowledge generation and sharing created
- IEC: information and knowledge on local innovation generated, documented and disseminated
- Advocacy: stakeholders sensitised and influenced on the importance of local innovation in ARD
- PK strengthening: functional national secretariat established with representation at county level
- Institutionalisation: incorporation of PK approaches into the core business of the member organisations
Visit and like our Prolinnova-Kenya Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/