- About Us
- Thematic Projects
- Climate Change and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Farmer Innovation Fairs
- Farmer-Led Documentation
- Farmer-Led Research
- Food & Nutrition Security Proli-FaNS
- HIV/AIDS and Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Gender & Participatory Innovation Devt.
- Integrating PID into education
- Participatory Innovation Development in Managing Agrobiodiversity
- Piloting Local Innovation Support Funds
- Youth and Participatory Innovation Development
- News & Events
- Country Platforms Archive
- Further Readings
- Innovation Africa Symposium
- Innovation Asia-Pacific Symposium
- Institutionalization of Participatory Approach in NRM
- Institutionalizing PID
- IPR Resources
- IPW Resources
- Prolinnova Publications
- PTD/PID Circular
- Training Materials
Six cases of local innovation in Enebse Sar Midir, Ethiopia
In Enebse Sar Midir District of Amhara Region, Ethiopia, the community-based organisation (CBO) Alem Birhan Self-Help Community-Based Development Association is facilitating the Rockefeller Foundation-supported project “Combining Local Innovative Capacity with Scientific Research” (CLIC–SR).
As part of this project, a multidisciplinary team from the CBO, a university, an agricultural college and a development project who partner in Prolinnova identified several innovations that rural men and women in the district have developed on their own in response to change.
The report “Documentation of local innovation and Participatory Innovation Development (PID)” brings a description of the six local innovations that the team judged to be most interesting for sharing with others farmers in the region and/or as a starting point for farmer-led PID together with university staff or other researchers and extensionists. The selected innovations are: a modified beehive, an irrigation canal built across rocky terrain, a row-sowing implement, biological pest control in haricot beans and in controlling ticks on livestock, and using local materials to make furniture for the home.